Mandates of NCHM to undertake scientific and technological services in hydrology, water resources, meteorology, climatology, and cryosphere to ensure the safety and socio-economic well-being of people and to support national and international needs.
In the areas covering the following:
- Planning and operation of national hydrological and meteorological observation network and its communications systems required for monitoring and data collection.
- Study and monitor cryosphere (snow, glaciers, glacier lakes) and its associated risks to implement appropriate mitigation and adaptation measures.
- Study and provide public weather services, severe weather warnings, meteorological data management, aviation, agro-met and climate change information and services.
- Study and carryout water resources assessment, hydrological forecasting, hydrological data management, dissemination of hydrological data and information and issue early warning services related to flood and GLOF.
- Capacity and human resources development through training and education
- Promote collaboration and institutional linkage with national, regional and international organizations related to weather, climate, hydrology, cryosphere, and water resources for exchange of data, research and technology transfer.
The main functions of NCHM are:
- Establish and operation on National Observation network of weather, climate, cryosphere, hydrology and water resources;
- Operation of telecommunication systems for transmitting observations to centralized acquisition and storage system, exchange of data and products and disseminating information services to the end-users.
- Maintain national database (repository) of hydrology, meteorology, cryosphere and related environmental data and information management systems;
- Development of meteorology, climatology and operational hydrology as well as to reap the benefits from their application.
- Provision of Public Weather Services (PWS)
- Provision of climate services including climate predictions and projection
- Provision of Agrometeorological and Aviation Meteorological Services
- Hydrology and Water Resource Services including flow and flood forecasting, water resources assessment;
- Early Warning Services of extreme events like weather, rainstorm and Glacial Lake Outburst Floods etc.
- Monitoring of Snow, Glaciers and Glacial lakes and assess associated risks for mitigation and adaptation
- Provision of high quality climate and hydrology data
- Promote and conduct research and development studies on cryosphere, meteorology (weather and climate), hydrology and water resources;
- Enhance the human resources development and professional capacity in the field of hydro-meteorology and cryosphere services;
- Promote and facilitate standardization of hydro-met instruments, methods of observation and recording to ensure the uniform publication of observations and statistics.
- Establish collaboration and linkage with national and international organizations in the field of cryosphere, hydrology and Meteorology for fulfilling obligations and cooperating under the regional and international obligations related to weather, climate and water resources