NCHM is mandated to provide scientific and technical services in hydrology, water resources, meteorology, climatology, and cryosphere to ensure the safety, socio- economic well-being of society and to support national and international needs.
The mandates listed as:
- Planning and operation of national hydrological ( surface and sub-surface) and meteorological ( surface and upper air) observation network and its communications systems required for monitoring and data collection.
- Study and monitor cryosphere (snow, glaciers, glacier lakes, permafrost) and its associated risks to implement appropriate mitigation and adaptation measures.
- Study and provide public weather services, severe weather warnings, meteorological data management, aviation meteorological services, agro- meteorology and climate change information and services.
- Study and carryout water resources assessment, hydrological forecasting, hydrological data management, dissemination of hydrological data and information and provide early warning services related to flood and GLOF.
- Assessment and mapping of hydro-meteorological and GLOF harzards at the sub-basin and basin level.
- Capacity and human resources development through training and education.
- Application of science and technology in operational meteorology, hydrology and cryosphere for development of services and products.
- Promote collaboration and institutional linkage with national, regional and international organizations related to weather, climate, hydrology, cryosphere, and water resources for exchange of data, research and technology transfer.
The main functions of NCHM are:
- Establish and operate National Observation network and telemetry system for weather, climate, cryosphere, hydrology and water resources;
- Maintain national database (repository) of hydrology, meteorology, cryosphere and related environmental data and information
- Provide Public Weather Services (PWS), climate services, argo- meteorology, climate projection and aviation meteorological services.Provide hydrological forecasting(flow and flood), ,and water resource assessment. Assessment and mapping of hydro-meteorological and GLOF harzards, and provide Early Warning Services.
- Study and monitoring of snow, glaciers and glacial lakes and assess associated risks for mitigation and adaptation.
- Promote and conduct research on cryosphere, meteorology (weather and climate), hydrology and water resources;
- Enhance human resources development and professional capacity in the field of hydro-meteorology and cryosphere services;
- Promote and facilitate standardization of hydro-met instruments, methods of observation and recording.
Establish collaboration and linkage with national, regional and international